Friends and Neighbors of the SoHum Community Park and Tooby Memorial Park are advocating protection of this Native Cultural Land, Enhancement of the Parks historical agricultural soils, Stewardship of the South Fork of the Eel River watershed to preserve its Environmental & Wildlife habitat.
We must demand that our seventh generation have the same range of possibilities for their Earth as we have for ours. Too many times, we don’t question the negative, often malicious consequences of our greed. While progress should never come to a halt, there are many places it should never come to at all.
We are concerned about the wildlife habitat and South Fork Eel watershed eco-systems that will be effected by the Park Boards proposed projects, i.e. loss of habitat and territory; loss of food supply; behavioral changes in mating predation and migration; and changes in nocturnal and interspecies relationships, altered predator-prey balance, increased competition for food and shelter.
Every generation choose's a path, it's own responsibility of teaching our childeren the right path. One of which is harmonious with earth and all of existence.
Treat the earth well. it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your childeren. We Do Not inherit the Earth.
What's needed is a Community elected Park Board of Directors, by an community membership, open to the public, not a private one for another 10 years!
• Provide the public with the necessary knowledge, education and legal tools to protect this land and our river. Help preserve the history and culture of the Wailaki Native People. Help educate and share what the native people of this land endured and lost in the past 160 years.
• Facilitate an appropriate public response to bring about necessary reform and change to the Park Board Directors policy for open public meetings, open decision making processes, open public Board elections and membership with voting rights. Rewrite the bylaws for protection of wildlife habitat
• Hold all Park Board of Directors accountable for upholding the public's trust and 501c3 responsibilities as stewards to all beneficial land uses within this unique Park property.
• Foster land and farming management techniques that enhance agricultural and environmental value of the land and river as well as economic value for all neighboring property owners.
• Ensure that land use practices in the Southern Humboldt Community Park comply with all applicable statues in Humboldt County for land use, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the Endangered Species Act, and the Clean Water Act.
• Educate and provide information to our community, the public and media of the Parks Boards improper land use practices and activities, mismanagement of public funds and public trust, the degrading effects of instream gravel extraction, Rock Quarry practices, water diversions & impoundments and developments with no understanding of the Parks ecosystems and how they function.
• Affirm that all leased land activities relating to the South Fork of the Eel River reflect the same spirit of the State and National Wild & Scenic River Acts and Fish Habitat.
We are concerned about the 80+ acres of Park land, being leased for Commercial Instream Gravel Extraction, Shale Rock Quarry/Strip Mining, and Cement Ready Mix Operations. This heavy industrial private enterprise occurs directly within the banks and proximity of the South Fork of the Eel River and causes significant degrading adverse effects to this Wild & Scenic River corridor, along with its threatened & endangered Coho, Chinook and Steelhead. And now the River bars are proposed to be used as parking lots for large concert & festival events at the Park at there instream gravel extraction locations.
We are all members of the Community cited in the Park's name and many of us are neighboring property owners of the Park. The Park Board's commercial concert events will impact the documented cultural sites for Wailaki Native People, our neighborhood with unwanted noise, traffic congestion, more noise, risk of delayed response by emergency vehicles to those of us who need medical care or fire protection services during planned big crowd events and using prime ag soils for Event Parking Lots..
We are concerned that the Park Board will turn our Wild & Scenic South Fork Eel River into a BIG parking lot and camping site below ordinary high water!
We have never been openly informed of the Park's planning requests to County Planning nor have we been solicited by the Park Board for our input on the Park's future development. Many of us were donors to the purchase of the Park and many of us attended the initial planning meetings where we made it clear that we supported the Park as agriculturally-zoned open space to be used in a low impact way.
http://lygsbtd.wordpress.com/tag/southern-humboldt-community-park/By Ed's Mobile Marine November 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I had heard of this website, but it is fair, too fair for the most part. The Park Board has painted these people as evil no good people in the SoHum Community, but when I read all of the information about the Park Board it makes me think. Now I know why the Park Board doesnot want us to think about it. By the time they ask the Community what they want, its already a done deal.By Mia Justin November 25, 2010 at 01:29 PM
The Park Board needs to stop all the lies and games they play as an charity benefit Org. They know better and still do it any how. They need to be tossed of their high horses and kicked in the teeth. I thought the CPB had time limits as directors?By Anonymous April 16, 2010 at 02:52 PM
P.o box 338
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Our maintenance services include: Mowing • edging • ...
59A Wareham Steet
Boston, MA 02118
Light Power/genuineantiquelighting offers original light ...
5312 S Civano Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85747
The Dizzy Lizard Gift Shop is located at the Desert Sol B...
Save Now ! Call: 1-800-748-1516, CO
College Point, NY
Downey, CAView More Friends
We can save you money if you buy packaging supplies - www.gbepackaging.com - Our pricing is lower for you.By on March 12, 2013
did i hit the nail on the head ed? Its about time for someone to expose you for who you are. all talk and no facts. whats BTW?By on February 11, 2012
Yes, yes, spot on with the nail and the head thing you have going there and Thank you, may I please have another? By The Way, which in French means "FUBAR". Please stop, I'll do anything if you please stop, how much money do you want to stop. I have lots of money.February 14, 2012
a single 52 year old male living in lake port trying to finish what his dad started in garberville. Smoker like his dad and no real connection to the issues. spends years trying to convince people.By on February 08, 2012
You know so much about me? Seems you are the one spending years trying to convince people of something I am not. If I had no real connection to the issues, well, why would you have to post it? We must be making a difference, right. Over 600 people in the community agree, and you are the only critic. Is there a problem officer? BTW, you may have used a bunk email to post this, but you left a great IP foot print, Oooooops........... FYI, Lakeport is one word.February 08, 2012